>Had an awesome time here for two days, listening to talks, hacking on some code, learning, networking, even managed to sign up for the UCSF gym and to take a swim.
Very nice organization, excellent venue, and fantastic talks. Definitely coming back next year. For the price it’s well worth it.
Here are some highlights:
- Super useful resource for lookup up shell commands: http://shellhaters.heroku.com/posix
- Terminator plugin: start your dev environment as you like it. Gem install terminator
- http://github.com/rdy/fixture_builder Factory to Fixtures converter to speed up your tests.
- pprof profile Ruby interpreter. Rack-Profiler project, great profiling tool.
- Machine Learning – great talk, and O’Reiley book, http://twitter.com/igrigorik
- minitest fastest testing framework, many mentions, very fast, supports RSpec and Test::Unit syntax
- Caching: using fresh_when(:last_modified => …) to enable proper HTTP caching in Rails 3.1
- Arel: enables fragment caching that does not run SQL if the fragment is cached
- ruby 1.9: require ‘objspace’ allows inspection of object counts and memory usage in VM